Actions and Reactions... :-)


It was 3.30 and tea-time in the hostel mess. Our final semester exams are due to begin in two days. As the usual story goes, I've not started studying anything for it. I always believed in one night stands! I would wind up studying for the exams on the night before the exam and this always worked for me. All my friends who tried hard to cram up for days really wondered how I ended up passing all the exams.


Actually, this has worked for me since 9th. And U could guess that I was really proud of this! I would wile away time watching movies, reading novels and of course sleeping, till the night before the exams. Now let me get back to the main stream. I'm having my tea and my friend from CSE, who happens to be in the room opposite to mine is chatting with his classmate. Well, results of six semesters have come and he hadn't got an all-pass in any semester till now. He was saying to his friend how he would study two modules today and two tomorrow.

For the ignorant, I study in Calicut University and for the still ignorant morons, this university sucks big time!!! No no, I'm not exxaggerrattinggg. People who don't write exams pass exams while those who write, end up getting binary marks. And u ask me what is the favourite chewing gum of the cattles and other four-legged milk giving mammals of the areas near Thenjipalam (for the moronheads who are scratching their head, it is the location of the University), it is the university answer papers. Oh yeah???- U would ask. I know this pesonally from the experiences of my friends.

So while my friend says this, I smile at him. I'm ready to pounce on him. Who would waste such a chance??? And I begin feasting on him. He then asks me- "nee ithuvare book kanditillalo?" (U haven't even seen the book yet !!!)
Pat I give him the reply - "Njan pakshe pass avunundallo" (but i apss all the exams!)
He decides to keep mum.

Time: 5 PM
I've finished watching Eagle Eye and I change my mobile to silent mode. I'm planning to have a nap till dinner. I'm woken up at 6 by loud knocks on my door. Its my friends. It seems the seventh semester results have come. And they are going on banging and banging. I reluctantly pull my cover aside and get up from my bed. It is so cozy to sleep in this climate.

"Da, 7 result vannu. Ninakku randu suppli: DSP-yum Advanced MuP-yum" (The s7 results are out. U've two backlogs- DSP and Advanced MuP). I rub my eyes and nod at them. And I go back to sleep. But then it strikes to me the thing that they had just said to me. I lay like that for 10 more minutes and I get up. There stands my neighbour. And he smiles at me. "I passed all the subjects!!!" - he says. I feel like a bolt stuck me. I walk out of the hostel, still half dazed and I reach the front of Mens Hostel I. All the electricals from MH I and MH II are standing outside in a circle and comparing the numbers. Then I come back to my senses and finally it comes out. "Fuck!!!" I mutter under my breath.

I had expected backlogs in my sixth semester. That is one of the reasons y I postponned my MBA options. But seven, I had never thought of that. Plus, taking Advanced Microprocessor as elective was considered suicidal. Only our college offered that and we were only very few in numbers. And I had finished my exam in 75 minutes. :-) I had scored just 26 in that. We were expecting more than 30 marks grace due to wrong questions!!! Did anyone just mention the word suicidal???

Footnote: I call my folks mostly. It was 7.30 and I was sitting in the mess hall for my dinner. I hear my cell phone ringing in my pocket. I take it out and see who it is. Must be some friends calling to compare the numbers and swear at the morons of the teachers who did the correction and lament over the way things are going. " So stange na that we take micro photostats from texts and copy it just like that and end up getting binary marks" - thus goes the usual conversations. But its not - Its my mom!!! I pick up the call. I don't tell her about the results and I keep the fone. I've a quiet dinner.

Toenote: After I finished my dinner, I'm digging into my casatta. My fone rings again. Now who is it? I wonder. Its my sis!!! OMG! I pick up the call. She asks me about my forth coming exams. I end up the conversation in less than two minutes. Was I desperate??? :-)

Nailnote: Finally at nearly 9, I call home. My dad picks up the fone. He was never bothered with the results much. I tell him the results. He laughs. "u r lying, right?" he asks me. I say "No" "Ok, I'll check it here. Give me ur roll number." I tell him the subjects in which I flunked. He seems to start to believe that. And he gives the fone to my mom. "Amma, I flunked in two subjects"
"when will be the exams??" she wants to know. "Within a month. Anyways, I don't have much work till Novemebr when I'll give my CAT" I console her "Manushyante karyam ithreyokke ullu amme"- I give it the final cliche touch. And I smile to myself as I've been doing all evening.

4 BackFires:

Anonymous Wednesday, June 10, 2009 6:27:00 pm  

haaha! best of luck with the coming exams..don't fail in them!
That cattle description..i that common with Calicut University or what? One of my friend's sister was telling the same!

The M Sunday, June 14, 2009 5:29:00 pm  

it is true!!!!!
Try walkin on the beaches of Kozhikode eating peanuts. If u r lucky enuff, u can get peanuts wrapped in my answer paper.. :-)

Raghu Monday, July 13, 2009 10:48:00 am  

Hi manish, read your blog, that quite good. It was a pleasure going thorugh it! And yes, i am not one of those ignorant abominable morons, as you have mentioned coz i too have left my foot prints in the smae college and hostel as you have. I got the link to your blog from on of my friend. Anyhow, i enjoyed reading it, and it bought back some memories from the past, but i must say that you guys seem quite sophistacted with quite a lot of comcern and a stern view of the future, i really aprereciate that coz thats one thing the we lacked. As for the elective, well we took industrial management(i think that my menory is correct). That was only because, nammal kuarchu peeru, were so lazy to mug up the techincal stuff and vomit it in paper, we though that for this paper gas adichu paas akam , just like software engg paper in S5 sem!

Keep blogging and, good luck with your endeavours.

The M Thursday, July 16, 2009 12:33:00 pm  

Now IM is a compulsory paper. And SE is stil an elective but not offered anymore. :-)

U r from which batch n branch? It is nice to c u visit my blog. :-)

TC

Responsible Commenting...

Everyone, please support Responsible Commenting. Please ensure that the things u say/write are true before u make a post or express ur comments.

Regards,

Manish Muralidharan
16/08/2009

a solitary exodus....

this is my space; its all about my life, the people i've met, the people i dream of meeting, people i love, people i like, people i hate, people i miss, people who have influenced me, helped me. it is about those hundreds of my emotions, all small and imperfect, but nevertheless completing me.