Bidding The Adieu...


Finally, the day I had been expecting for four years came. Today was the D-Day I had been waiting for during the past four days. Today, I vacated my room in my college hostel. Strange it may seem, from the very first day of my life in NSS College of Engineering, Palakkad, all I wanted was to get out from there. I felt I was suffocating in there.

But as July dawned upon us, and we were running busy with projects and vivas, did I feel some pang deep inside me??? Then I began to count the weeks and then the days... Finally, today it happened.

As I stood among the mess that was my room (227... How I've come to love this number!), yesterday night, I knew there was something inside me that was hurting. I hated to admit it. Not much of a college to miss but the hostel was sure a heaven! The things we had done there. All those days and nights. And I stood there among what was to be separated as useful and trash, packing bags.

Meeting everyone before I went was something I thought I would never do. It was a conviction of years. But after all the packing, I found myself going to MH1 to meet my friends there! It wasn't bad. But it sure felt good.

And I found myself sending messages to everyone of my friends in my cell.

"Njan naale ee campusinode vida parayunnu..orupidi ardramaya ormakalum, oru pidi nalla souhrudangal nenjileti, kochu kochu pinakangalum vashiyum ormichu kondu... Thank for being part of my campus life... Wishing u the very best..."

The response was overwhelming. I got replies from people I never expected. It was one of the moments when ur heart fills with those infinite emotions. And I got an unexpected call; a call I had been trying to make for months! It was Manju. The things farewell does to people. Time is indeed a great healer.

Some things have an awesome timing. It was 1 am and I was going back to my room. As I pass the deserted TV Room, I take the remote and switch on the TV. The channel is Kiran and the song is "Oru Ratri Koodi Vidavangave..." from Summer in Bethlehem. It couldn't have been better!

By the way things were going, I had thought that the actual leaving would be really emotional. But it was just the opposite. No one was there. It was just Kiran, Gokul, Anoop and Praveen. The bags were put in the car within no time and I was already leaving in 10 minutes. Nothing as I expected. Had even thought that the journey back would be nostalgic. Well, for all the 120 kms, I was just concentrating on the road ahead. Not a single thought about the place I had left a few hours ago! But sure I'm going to miss it in the coming days....

FOOTNOTE: Thanks- Manju, for calling me up. Not once, but thrice. I know I wasn't my old self, but then a lot of time passed; many things changed.
Thanks- Nandu, for the farewell lunch. I loved the cutlet, the fried rice and the fruit salad!!! But I hated that chewing gummish round thing. :-) Thanks to my sisters Asha, Anusha, & Nami for being there. Anu, I'll kill u one day!
Thanks- To Chilleroidz. We rock dudes!!! From that first time in Surya to this day, it was a journey we took, together, knowing we'll be out there for each other. And to GODS. U rock too!!! All those wonderful memories we etched with u.
Thanks- To all my friends who made my life complete in this college.!!!

TOENOTE: I'm just wondering what I would have been doing, if I was in the hostel right now. Most probably in 223, enjoying life or playing cards in WaterWorld. Instead, I'm here, blogging. My back hurts like hell due to all the driving!!!

NAILNOTE: After cancelling the plans and tickets for four times during the past two years, today I again booked tickets to Gujarat to go in September. Hope I would make it this time. Hopefully, I would be there during the Navratri. Waiting for the Dhandiya and lots of sweets!!!


3 BackFires:

Joe Pinto Sunday, July 26, 2009 7:09:00 pm  

My dear Manish,

I always make it a point to find out who follows my blog. I liked your blog and its frank style.

You should more items like this one and describe the life you had as a hostelite. Years later, these will become the diary notes, if and when you decide to write about your days as a student.

Keep blogging. Be free, frank, fearless ans fair,

Warm regards,
- Joe Pinto.
Email: sangatizuzay@gmail.com
Pune: 020-2444-4392.
Mobile: 0-94037-66122.

Shabbu Monday, July 27, 2009 9:31:00 pm  

Every time i am in town i make sure i visit our college just spend some time in hostel (though technically i was never a hosteller) its like a legal bond or something i have to be there..for 'mann ki shanthi' atleast. I felt goosebumps when i just saw the MH pic and all those memories..."ormakale..Kai Vala chaarthii..."

The M Monday, July 27, 2009 9:33:00 pm  

:-)

I've begun to miss it already. I'm going back day after tomorrow. Will spend the last few days there with my friends and etch some more memorable memories to take along and bid adieu together.

Responsible Commenting...

Everyone, please support Responsible Commenting. Please ensure that the things u say/write are true before u make a post or express ur comments.

Regards,

Manish Muralidharan
16/08/2009

a solitary exodus....

this is my space; its all about my life, the people i've met, the people i dream of meeting, people i love, people i like, people i hate, people i miss, people who have influenced me, helped me. it is about those hundreds of my emotions, all small and imperfect, but nevertheless completing me.